If I lived my life again I'd be braver. Living Adventurously 39
Jo Moseley is @healthyhappy50. She is the first woman to SUP coast to coast across the UK. She describes herself as a Joy Encourager, Midlife Adventurer & Beach Cleaner. Somebody else called her 'a fruitbat on a glorified surfboard' much to Jo's delight!
- If you enjoy listening to this episode over a cup of coffee and think it might be worth the price, you can buy me a coffee here: www. ko-fi.com/al_humphreys
- Keep up to date with future episodes (and my other adventures, projects and books) with my free monthly newsletter: alastairhumphreys.com/more/subscribe
- Say hello on Twitter and Instagram: @al_humphreys
- Jo's website, Instagram and Twitter.
- Proper Nutty peanut butter
- Adventure close to home is about seeing home with different eyes
- Paddleboard the North
- An adventure can be big if it means a lot to you emotionally
- Plastic Pollution is one of Jo's passions
- Showing herself she could be brave outside being a 'school mum'
- Wanted to do something when her boys went off to Uni, to show herself, her boys and the world that a new life was beginning for her
- The possibilities are bigger than I thought
- Canal resource is extraordinary
- Looking for purpose
- She feels she belongs to a place more when she is looking after it
- Lucozade bottles was the most common litter on her trip
- Found a 1995 crisp packet - 2 minutes of eating, 20 years of rubbish
- 54 and a half. A lot of women feel embarrassed about getting older
- I feel as excited about life now as I did in my 20s
- Living adventurously is about doing uncertain things with curiosity and really living in the moment. Being not sure of the outcome but doing it anyway
- My advice to me in my 30s would be to not lose myself - to look after myself too.
- There is still a difference in societal guilt between men and women
- I feel I'd have been a better mum had I gone off and done some adventures them
- Most people were very encouraging and positive on her trip. A few men found it OK to question her ability and competence.
- My biggest worry is that people think I'm bragging
- Yorkshire Rows: our superpower is believing in ourselves
- None of the worries I had before came to pass
- I've cried in most supermarkets
- Doing exercise - a rowing machine - benefited her mental health in a couple of weeks
- Moving with purpose - rowing a million metres
- Joy Encourager
- Wild - Cheryl Strayed
- Dear Sugar
- Audrey Sutherland - Go solo, go simple, go now
- If I lived my life again I'd be braver
- We need to allow girls to be brave
- 'A fruitbat on a glorified surfboard'
- One Day - david nicholls
- You can't change the world but you can change the world around you
THIS PODCAST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KOMOOT
You can see my ride’s route on komoot here.